Although liposuction and CoolSculpting both reduce unwanted areas of fat around the body, the procedures are very different. Each has its own set of pros and cons, which you should weigh carefully before making any decisions.
In this post, the team at The Plastic Surgery Center covers the differences between liposuction and CoolSculpting.
Liposuction At a Glance
Traditionally, liposuction has been the gold standard of body fat removal for areas such as the abdomen, hips, thighs, buttocks and arms. The surgical procedure is usually performed on an outpatient basis under general anesthesia or local anesthesia with sedation. During the procedure, the surgeon creates several tiny incisions in the treatment area. Through the incisions, the surgeon inserts a hollow tube and moves it back and forth to break up unwanted fat. Then, the fat is suctioned through the tube from the body.
- Safe when performed by a board-certified plastic surgeon
- Produces noticeable results
- Can remove a larger volume of fat than non-surgical alternatives
- New technology and techniques continue to make treatment safer and more precise
- Results can be seen as soon as the swelling subsides
- Requires anesthesia
- Requires several weeks to recovery
- Post-operative side effects (e.g., bruising, swelling) can be uncomfortable
CoolSculpting at a Glance
In the past few years, CoolSculpting has emerged as a safe and effective non-surgical fat reduction method. The in-office treatment exposes unwanted fat to controlled cooling. The low temperatures freeze the fat cells, which die and are filtered from the body via the waste elimination process. Like liposuction, CoolSculpting can be used on many areas of the body, including the abdomen, back, thighs, flanks and underneath the chin.
- Does not require surgery
- Does not require anesthesia
- Can be completed during a single office visit
- Little to no downtime or discomfort
- No needles, incisions or scarring
- Has not been around as long as liposuction
- Can’t remove as much fat as liposuction
- Takes longer to see the desired results
Schedule a Consultation with The Plastic Surgery Center
The best way to determine the right procedure for your needs and goals is to consult in person with our talented plastic surgery team. Please call or email The Plastic Surgery Center today to request an appointment.